Eatery that served toxic tea had labeling citation

Published on NewsOK Modified: August 19, 2014 at 7:03 pm •  Published: August 19, 2014
Advertisement

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — A Utah restaurant where a woman unknowingly drank iced tea mixed with chemicals, and nearly died, was cited seven months earlier for improper food labeling.

County officials issued seven violations to Dickey's Barbecue in South Jordan following a January inspection, Salt Lake County Health Department records show. The year before, the restaurant had six violations.

Dickey's Barbecue has had no violations for improper chemical labeling since opening in 2012, records show.

Authorities say a worker at the establishment unintentionally put a chemical cleaning compound in a sugar bag last month. The substance ended up in a Sandy woman's glass of iced tea Aug. 10 after an employee mixed it into a beverage dispenser.

Prosecutors are reviewing a police investigation of the incident to determine if anyone should be charged.

In January, the restaurant was cited for two critical violations: employee beverages being too close to food prep areas and a dirty can opener, records show. Mislabeling of food is considered noncritical and is a common violation, health agency spokesman Nicholas Rupp said.

Overall, this Dickey's has maintained a better-than-average health rating since opening, he said.

Continue reading this story on the...