High school notebook: Edlam in first round of women's NCAA Tournament
Formed Edmond Santa Fe standout Courtney Walker and former Edmond Memorial Alie Decker will meet in the first round.
Last season, Edmond Santa Fe's Courtney Walker and Edmond Memorial's Alie Decker met in the Class 6A state championship game at ORU's Mabee Center in Tulsa.
Saturday, Walker's and Decker's new teams will meet up in the first round of the NCAA Tournament in College Station, Texas.
Walker has started every game for Texas A&M as a freshman, averaging 4.9 points. She's also No. 2 in assists on the Aggies.
Decker has played sparingly, starting one game and playing in five overall in helping Wichita State to the tournament for the first time in the school's history.
Several other former Oklahoma girls basketball stars who went out-of-state for college will be playing in the tournament.
Midwest City's Richa Jackson is averaging 5.6 points and 17.5 minutes per game for second-seeded Duke, which hosts Hampton. Cache's Taylor Thompson is a starter for 15th-seeded Fresno State, averaging 10.2 points and 4.4 assists. Fresno State opens the tournament against No. 2-seeded Cal. Also, Norman's Ashley Bruner averaged 10.0 points and 7.9 rebounds as a starter for No. 4-seeded South Carolina, which opens against South Dakota State.
MORRIS, PETERS NAMED CONFERENCE'S TOP PLAYERS
Boys basketball players Edmond Memorial's Shaquille Morris and Piedmont's Cameron Peters were named the Players of the Year in their respective conferences recently.
Morris, a 6-foot-8 Wichita State signee, averaged nearly 18 points and nine rebounds per game for the state champion Bulldogs to earn top honors in the Mid-State Conference.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
COLLEGE BASKETBALL VIDEOS
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater