Edmond adopts policy to help businesses
City council members passed an incentive policy designed to help existing and new businesses. The policy is a joint project with the Edmond Economic Development Authority.
EDMOND — Council members this week adopted a policy that sets out incentives for retail owners who open a business in Edmond, or for local businesses that expand.
The incentive policy is a joint project with the Edmond Economic Development Authority. Officials said it will make Edmond competitive with other cities that are working to entice businesses.
“The policy gives general guidelines and the flexibility to review each application on a case-by-case basis,” City Manager Larry Stevens told members of the Capital Projects and Financing Task Force, who questioned whether a special tax for capital projects would be used to pay for the incentives.
Stevens and councilman Nick Massey, who spearheaded the development of the policy, assured task force members no 2000 capital project money would be used.
City officials this year budgeted $620,000 from the general fund sales tax money to the Edmond Economic Development Authority to be used for incentives.
Councilwoman Victoria Caldwell said the dedicated sales tax money could not be spent on the incentives.
The new policy is supported by the business community and Edmond Area Chamber of Commerce members.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 38644Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15211Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9740Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9154Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8873Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7777Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7381Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister