Edmond buys building for information technology department
Edmond City Council members voted to spend $865,000 plus closing costs for a building at 1273 N Broadway to house information technology employees. Construction on the unfinished building is expected to last nine to 12 weeks.
EDMOND — City council members voted to spend $865,000 plus closing costs for a building at 1273 N Broadway to house information technology employees now in separate buildings.
The 6,200-square-foot building at the southwest corner of Danforth Road and Broadway will be finished before 15 city employees move in.
The cost for the land and unfinished building was $735,000, but construction costs to get the unfinished building ready to occupy increased the price.
“I know the cost keeps going up,” said Assistant City Manager Steve Commons.
“Part of the cost is for a vault to protect our servers. The current facility is not as protected as it should be. We take that serious. The building will withstand a major event, and the servers will be protected.”
The money to buy the building will come from the real property fund, interest on the $7 million hospital trust fund established in the 1980s when Edmond sold its community hospital, which is now OU Medical Center Edmond.
Construction is expected to last nine to 12 weeks. Employees are expected to move in around Feb. 1.
A large portion of the information technology department is now located in the administration building that will be torn down to make way for the new public safety center.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21059Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7331Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6693OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5627Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4676Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4297Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater