Edmond church choir heads to Rome at historic moment in Catholic history
Choir members from St. Monica Catholic Church in Edmond will sing at churches throughout Rome as part of the 2013 Festival of Peace and Brotherhood.
Videoview all videos
Mar 1A group St. Monica Catholic Church choir members will...
“As a singer, the opportunity to lift your voice in all these holy places — it's an utter gift,” she said.
Now that the trip is imminent, Roewe said recent major changes at the Vatican will affect some of the choir's initial plans.
For instance, she said choir members had hoped for a papal audience, but the papal transition has effectively ruled that out. With Pope Benedict XVI's resignation now in effect, a new pope must be elected. Roewe also said the group had hoped to tour the Sistine Chapel, but it likely will be filled with the cardinals' conclave for the papal election, the successful completion of which is signaled by white smoke.
Despite these modifications resulting from the papal succession, Roewe and other choir members said timing is everything.
“It's still a historic moment,” Roewe said.
“Who knows, maybe we'll get to see the white smoke — it all depends on the conclave.”
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 12097Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11309Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6870Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 6485Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 4833Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4317OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3653Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law