Edmond church's former business manager faces 8 felony counts
Bill Dwight Coyle, 52, the former business manager of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Edmond, was named in charges presented Friday in Oklahoma County. The district attorney's office accepted and filed the charges late Monday afternoon, Edmond police spokeswoman Jennifer Monroe said.
EDMOND — The former business manager of a prominent Edmond church was charged Monday with eight felony counts, authorities said.
Bill Dwight Coyle, 62, was named in charges presented Friday in Oklahoma County. The district attorney's office accepted and filed the charges late Monday afternoon, Edmond police spokeswoman Jennifer Monroe said.
Coyle was not booked into the Oklahoma County jail Monday.
The investigation began in July as an embezzlement complaint when an audit revealed more than $109,000 was missing from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 924 S Littler Ave., according to an Edmond police report. Coyle was the business manager of the church at the time, the report states. The money was thought to have gone missing between Jan. 1, 2004, and Feb. 1, 2012, a police report shows.
Eight counts of Oklahoma Computer Crimes Act violations were instead sought after a joint investigation by police and the white-collar crimes division of the district attorney's office. The felony counts were sought in lieu of multiple misdemeanor counts of embezzlement, Monroe said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims