Edmond church's former business manager faces 8 felony counts
Bill Dwight Coyle, 52, the former business manager of St. John the Baptist Catholic Church in Edmond, was named in charges presented Friday in Oklahoma County. The district attorney's office accepted and filed the charges late Monday afternoon, Edmond police spokeswoman Jennifer Monroe said.
EDMOND — The former business manager of a prominent Edmond church was charged Monday with eight felony counts, authorities said.
Bill Dwight Coyle, 62, was named in charges presented Friday in Oklahoma County. The district attorney's office accepted and filed the charges late Monday afternoon, Edmond police spokeswoman Jennifer Monroe said.
Coyle was not booked into the Oklahoma County jail Monday.
The investigation began in July as an embezzlement complaint when an audit revealed more than $109,000 was missing from St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, 924 S Littler Ave., according to an Edmond police report. Coyle was the business manager of the church at the time, the report states. The money was thought to have gone missing between Jan. 1, 2004, and Feb. 1, 2012, a police report shows.
Eight counts of Oklahoma Computer Crimes Act violations were instead sought after a joint investigation by police and the white-collar crimes division of the district attorney's office. The felony counts were sought in lieu of multiple misdemeanor counts of embezzlement, Monroe said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 54539Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32179Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 9189Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction