Edmond man jailed after ex-girlfriend says he beat her, told dog to attack her
Christopher R. Birchmier, 32, of Edmond, was arrested on multiple complaints of domestic abuse. His pit bull terrier could be euthanized after biting a woman and Birchmier.
After the dog bit her, the woman ran out of the residence and flagged down a passing motorist, who drove her to a location where she was met by police and paramedics.
Birchmier also was hospitalized after Butter bit him, police reported.
Butter is under quarantine for 10 days, a police spokeswoman said Friday.
A judge will determine after meeting with the city's animal welfare director whether the dog is a threat to the community and should be euthanized, the spokeswoman said.
Birchmier denied assaulting the woman or telling the dog to bite her, telling an Edmond police detective “it just got excited because we were fighting,” according to the affidavit.
He said he was only trying to keep the woman “from hurting herself” because “she was unstable” and wouldn't stop “punching herself,” the detective wrote in the affidavit.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims