Edmond School Board names new executive director of elementary education
Edmond School Board names longtime Edmond school district employee Ruthie Riggs executive director of elementary education.
EDMOND — For longtime resident Ruthie Riggs, Edmond is not just home; it's a way of life.
The daughter of an Edmond public school teacher, Riggs spent her young life immersed in the school system the district offered.
Now, Riggs will take up a prominent leadership role within the district.
It was announced recently that Riggs will become the school district's executive director of elementary education, starting July 1.
As director, Riggs will be responsible for working in collaboration with schoolteachers, administrators and principals to handle administrative tasks, including the hiring of new employees.
She will leave her current position as principal at John Ross Elementary School.
Riggs attended Clegern Elementary School, Edmond Junior High School and Edmond Memorial High School.
“I received a wonderful education from Edmond Public Schools, as did my three grown sons,” Riggs said.
Her first granddaughter is scheduled to begin school in Edmond this fall.
Riggs received degrees in education from the University of Central Oklahoma before following in her mother's footsteps and becoming an Edmond schoolteacher.
“I wanted to go into education because I've always enjoyed spending time with children. That was what motivated me the most,” Riggs said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims