Edmond square dancers love the exercise, friendship
The Teacup Chains Square Dance Club of Edmond will offer lessons beginning Jan. 24
Videoview all videos
Photoview all photos
NewsOK Related Articles
He said he calls dances to a wide variety of music.
“I do gospel, country-western, easy listening, easy rock,” he said, “and I love to take requests.”
He said he especially enjoys teaching.
“It's great to see new dancers on the floor, and to put a smile on their face when they get it,” he said.
Teacup Chains has been holding its dances at Peace Lutheran Church for two years after meeting for many years in a dance studio in Edmond.
“We outgrew the other place,” Schaefer said.
The club has about 70 members.
The club — which took its name from an advanced-level square dance formation — was formed in 1991. Schaefer said membership is open to adult couples and singles. The club is one of 16 that belong to the Oklahoma Central District Square Dance Association.
Schaefer's sister is club member Renee Gruntmeir, who has been square dancing with her husband, Luis, for more than 25 years, liking it so much they went to a square dance before embarking on their honeymoon.
“We had the wedding, went to the reception, then went to our local club dance in Kingfisher,” Renee Gruntmeir said.
“You cannot meet nicer people,” she said. “If we mess up, it doesn't matter. You just laugh and go on. It's just fun.”
Robert and Kay Bost have been Teacup Chains members for about three years, but square danced in Dallas for more than 20 years before moving to Edmond.
“It's good exercise, and lots of fun and fellowship,” Robert Bost said.
“When you make a mistake, everyone laughs and starts over.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort