Educational workshop on codependent relationships to be held in Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City session will focus on how codependent people handle lives and relationships.
Don't ever make anyone your priority while allowing them to make you their option.
That will be one of the messages Oklahoma City counselor Patty Gail Patten shares this weekend at a two-day session about codependency.
IF YOU GO
Anyone interested in attending this weekend's workshop or future workshops can call 818-1585. The workshop costs $220, $180 for people coming from Parents Helping Parents or $165 for counselors.
Patten said the workshop is appropriate for a range of audiences and will be educational and practical.
Thus far, parents, married adults and counselors have signed up for the session. It will be on Saturday from 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. and Sunday 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
The session will be at Patten's office at 1700 W Britton Road.
Patten said she hopes participants leave with a better sense of self-awareness and the ability to transform unhealthy relationships.
People, especially American residents, often have codependent relationship with family, friends, co-workers and spouses, Patten said.
Patten will teach participants about the symptoms of codependents and how their codependency is affecting current relationships. She also will discuss boundaries versus walls and how self-esteem interacts with codependency.
Patten defines codepency as a lack of relationship with yourself and when people do not know themselves very well. Codependents have trouble knowing how they feel, think and what they want or need.
Codependents often feel like if someone they care for pulls away from them, they will disappear, Patten said.
“If I use you to define me and you start to get more independent from me, I'm going to have my own set of issues that try to bring you back, codependent on me,” Patten said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 19883Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 16750Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12000Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 11023Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 8434Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8422Tulsa man tells police he smashed woman's head with machete in self-defense
- 7521Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments