Egypt militants claim responsibility for 2 attacks

Published on NewsOK Modified: May 4, 2014 at 2:18 pm •  Published: May 4, 2014
Advertisement
;

The Salafi movement is new to the political scene in Egypt. It previously shunned politics and holds an even more conservative and strict interpretation in Islam than the Brotherhood.

Friday witnessed a series of attacks in Cairo and southern Sinai, a tourist destination that has seen four suicide bombings since Morsi's ouster, including one in February that killed three South Korean tourists. On Friday, a bomber blew himself up near a tourist bus carrying Egyptian workers in el-Tor, in southern Sinai, killing only himself and wounding four, security officials said. The Health Ministry initially said a civilian was killed.

It was not clear if the bomber was aiming to target foreign tourists or the Egyptian workers.

On the same day, another attacker blew himself up at an army checkpoint in el-Tor, killing a soldier and himself, and wounding five others, the officials said. Initially, a civilian also was believed to have been killed in the attack. In Cairo, a homemade bomb planted at a police post killed an officer, while a car used usually by military officers exploded, killing a civilian. No one claimed responsibility for these two attacks.

Also Sunday, security officials said masked gunmen killed a retired intelligence officer in el-Arish, the capital of northern Sinai, after he dropped his children at school. The retired officer was heading a local prominent charity organization, and the motive for his killing was not immediately clear.

The security officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to journalists.

___

Associated Press writer Maamoun Youssef in Cairo contributed to this report.