Egypt sends ousted president to 3rd criminal trial

Published on NewsOK Modified: December 21, 2013 at 11:14 am •  Published: December 21, 2013
Advertisement
;

CAIRO (AP) — Egyptian prosecutors on Saturday referred the country's toppled president to a third criminal trial on charges of organizing prison breaks during the 2011 uprising, spreading chaos and abducting police officers in collaboration with foreign militants.

The new charges against Mohammed Morsi and 129 others pile on the legal onslaught facing the ousted Islamist president and his group, the Muslim Brotherhood, by leveling sweeping accusations, most of which carry the death penalty.

Egypt's military-backed interim government has sought to portray the Brotherhood as largely responsible for the violence and militant attacks that engulfed the country following the 2011 ouster of longtime autocrat Hosni Mubarak. The violence has surged following the popularly-backed military coup that deposed Morsi in July.

The latest case against Egypt's first freely elected president is rooted in the 2011 escape of more than 20,000 inmates from prisons across the country — including Morsi. Investigative Judge Hassan Samir said other Brotherhood suspects in the case include the group's leader Mohammed Badie, his deputy Mahmoud Ezzat, who is still at large, former Parliament Speaker Saad el-Katatni and others.

Also charged are members of the Palestinian militant group Hamas and the Lebanese group Hezbollah who also broke out of Egyptian jails. Prominent pro-Brotherhood cleric Youssef el-Qaradawi, an Egyptian based in Qatar, is also on the list, said a prosecution official, speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak to reporters.

A statement from Samir's office didn't name all the 129 defendants but referred to the case as the "most dangerous terror crime the country faces." It said an investigation into the case since April has shown that the Brotherhood plotted with foreign groups to "destroy the Egyptian state and its institutions," recruiting some 800 militants through the Gaza Strip to attack police stations and at least three prisons in Egypt, breaking out thousands of prisoners while killing police officers and inmates.

Authorities have said the jailbreaks were part of an organized effort to destabilize the country. Rights groups have called for an independent investigation into the chaotic events, saying they hold the police responsible for the pandemonium.

No date has been set for the new trial.

Morsi and several leading Muslim Brotherhood members already face charges in a separate case of inciting the murder of his opponents while he was in office — a trial that has already started and is due to resume next month. Morsi also was charged separately earlier this week with conspiring with foreign groups to destabilize Egypt. A date for that trial has yet to be set.

| |

Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Hotel leaves Oklahoma City Thunder opponents telling ghost stories
  2. 2
    Check out the Thunder postseason playlist
  3. 3
    VIDEO: Blake Griffin dumps water on a fan
  4. 4
    Oklahoma City Thunder: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes calls drug suspension unfair
  5. 5
    Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
+ show more