El Reno tractor-trailer fire causes at least eight cattle deaths, officials report
Animal control helped to contain cattle at the scene of a tractor trailer fire in El Reno.
EL RENO — Eight cattle had to be put down after a tractor-trailer filled with 106 of the animals caught fire in Canadian County, authorities said.
The incident occurred about 9:05 a.m. Wednesday outside of El Reno south of Interstate 40 near Banner and Jensen roads.
An explosion was heard before the fire broke out, an El Reno fire official said. Authorities think a tire blew out and friction sparked the blaze, said Maj. Ross Reuter with the Canadian County Sheriff's Department. The fire was under control by 9:30 a.m.
By 11:15 a.m., authorities rounded up cattle that had been released, Reuter said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 42155Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15090Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9670Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8506Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8490Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7696Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7550Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena