Electric Toyota RAV4 to start near $50,000
The RAV4 EV's price tag also could hurt sales. It costs $14,600 more than the Leaf and $10,000 more than the Chevrolet Volt or the electric Ford Focus. The electric Focus also costs more than double the gas version. Focus EV sales have been modest since the car went on sale late last year.
Electric vehicles also have been slow to catch on in the U.S. because of the limited charging infrastructure. General Motors Co. and Nissan Motor Co. both fell short of their electric vehicle sales goals in 2011.
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister