Elk City man arrested in mother's death is charged with robbing her business two weeks earlier
An Elk City man arrested last week in his mother's shooting death was out of jail on bail when she died. According to police and court records, Aaron Mitchell Stigleman was charged with drunkenly robbing her consignment store Jan. 31.
ELK CITY — An Elk City man arrested in his mother's shooting death was accused of drunkenly robbing her business two weeks earlier.
Aaron Mitchell Stigleman, 26, was being held Monday in the Beckham County jail on a murder complaint.
His mother, Karen Stigleman, 56, was shot to death about 10 a.m. Wednesday at her home at 608 W Avenue B.
Aaron Stigleman, who was out on bail at the time of his mother's death, was accused of stealing a bank bag from Lady Bugs Closet, his mother's consignment store in Elk City.
According to a police report, Aaron Stigleman went into the store Jan. 31 to pick up some mail and grabbed a bank bag with about $700 in it. Karen Stigleman chased him out of the store, and he was arrested by police.
Police said Aaron Stigleman appeared to be intoxicated when he was arrested. He was charged Feb. 5 with second-degree robbery and actual physical control of a vehicle while under the influence.
He was released Feb. 5 on $10,000 bail.
Eight days later, police were called to Karen Stigleman's home. When they arrived, Aaron Stigleman ran from the house naked and refused to follow commands to stop and lie on the ground.
Officers used a Taser to subdue him. They found Karen Stigleman dead of a gunshot wound to the head in her bedroom. A .45-caliber pistol and a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle were found in the room.
Funeral services for Karen Stigleman will be 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at First Baptist Church of Elk City, 1600 W Country Club Blvd.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21139Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 17655Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 12237Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9661Rx drug bills sent to Oklahoma governor
- 9306Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 8802Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8735Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater