Elk City police arrest man in fatal shooting
An Elk City man was arrested after his mother was found shot to death in her home, police said.
ELK CITY — An Elk City man was arrested Wednesday after his mother was found shot to death in her home, police report.
Aaron Mitchell Stigelman, 26, was arrested by police responding to a shooting about 10 a.m. at 608 W Avenue B, according to a police news release.
Officers said Stigelman ran naked from the house and refused to follow commands to stop and lie on the snowy ground.
Police used a Taser to subdue Stigelman, according to the news release.
When officers entered the house they found a 53-year-old woman in her bedroom with an apparent gunshot wound to the head, police reported. The name of the woman was not released pending notification of relatives.
A .45-caliber handgun and a .223-caliber semi-automatic rifle were in the bedroom, the Daily Elk Citian reported.
Stigelman was taken to the Elk City Police Department.
Three Elk City school buildings were put on lockdown briefly Wednesday morning as a precaution after gunshots were reported.
Elk City's middle and junior high schools, and the adult education building were locked down for about 10 minutes, police said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13571Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11780Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5526Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5480Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4547OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4292Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4042How to help tornado victims