Encarnacion scratched with sore toe
TORONTO (AP) — Blue Jays slugger Edwin Encarnacion was scratched from Sunday's lineup against Boston with a sore big toe on his right foot.
It's the second time in three games that Encarnacion has been unavailable — he sat out Friday's loss with lingering pain in his left wrist, one day after being hit by a pitch from Seattle's Felix Hernandez.
Encarnacion hit his 40th home run Thursday, topping 100 RBIs for the first time. He went 0 for 1 with three walks Saturday, and is two homers behind Texas outfielder Josh Hamilton for the major league lead.
Shortstop Yunel Escobar and catcher Jeff Mathis were also scratched Sunday because of illness. Yan Gomes replaced Encarnacion at designated hitter, J.P. Arencibia was behind the plate, Adeiny Hechavarria moved from second to short and Omar Vizquel played second.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort