Endowment returns flat for universities
Overall, there are 71 U.S. universities with endowments higher than $1 billion, down from 76 in the survey a year ago.
Here are the top 10 university endowments, their 2012 value and the percentage change from 2011:
1. Harvard University, $30.44 billion, down 4.1 percent.
2. Yale University, $19.35 billion, down 0.1 percent.
3. University of Texas System, $18.26 billion, up 6.5 percent.
4. Stanford University, $17.04 billion, up 3.2 percent.
5. Princeton University, $16.95 percent, down 0.9 percent.
6. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, $10.15 billion, up 4.5 percent.
7. University of Michigan, $7.69 billion, down 1.8 percent.
8. Columbia University, $7.65 billion, down 1.7 percent.
9. Texas A&M University System, $7.64 billion, up 9.1 percent.
10. Northwestern University, $7.12 billion, down 0.9 percent.
Changes from 2011 reflect combined impact of fundraising, investment returns and spending out of the endowments.
Follow Justin Pope at http://www.twitter.com/JustinPopeAP
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 11434Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11103Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9903Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8455Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4574Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4269Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4107OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M