Energy independence could have unintended consequesces
Much has been said recently about becoming energy independent. What we need to know is whether we're prepared for cuts in other areas of our economy if we do become independent. We would no longer need to worry about how the countries in the Middle East treat us. We would no longer have to fight wars to protect our interests in the Middle East or have to produce as many airplanes, trucks, tanks, bombs, etc. because we can take care of ourselves. Tinker, Altus and Vance Air Force bases, the McAlester Army Ammunition Depot and Fort Sill could be shut down or at the very least downsized.
NewsOK Related Articles
Energy independence is the way of the future, but Oklahomans would be remiss if we failed to prepare for unforeseen cuts while focusing solely on unexpected gains to our economy.
Donald D. Meyer, Oklahoma City
Readers wishing to respond to a letter to the editor can submit a response.
Voices Photo Galleriesview all
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in