Energy independence: Industry experts, in their own words
Some industry leaders and economists weigh in on energy independence.
Videoview all videos
Oct 3Oct. 3, 2012: The Oklahoman's energy reporters lead a...
Sep 28Clytie Bunyan, business editor of The Oklahoman, provides...
Sep 28Steve Agee, dean of the Meinders school of business at...
Sep 28Harold Hamm, CEO of Continental Resources, talks about...
Photoview all 26 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
executive chairman at Oklahoma City-based Devon
‘Energy independence' implies that you could build a wall around the United States and not worry about the rest of the world. “Energy independence” is a term that could be misleading. If the price of oil goes up internationally, it is going to affect us. We don't live on an island with any commodity.”
dean of Oklahoma City University's Meinders School
We have trade with other countries because some countries have the ability to generate products or services below where we can produce them. There are competitive advantages to trade with other countries.
OPEC (The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries) has had us by the throat for the past 40 years because of their ability to set the price, but that is changing. American producers are changing the face of domestic oil supplies. As a result, we are less reliant on those foreign sources.
But if they can still produce oil at a lower marginal cost than we can over time to the point that we can import that and not be at their mercy to be able to restrict supply, we need to trade with them — unless we have political sanctions against them like what is going on with Iran. But to the extent that they can supply oil at a lower cost, we need to look at it.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister