Energy industry is bringing new El Reno interchange to Interstate 40
A new interchange will be built at Interstate 40 and Radio Road in El Reno through a partnership that includes the Oklahoma Department of Transportation, city of El Reno and Chesapeake Energy Corp.
EL RENO — The Oklahoma Department of Transportation is planning to build a new interchange on Interstate 40 as part of a unique public-private partnership with El Reno and Chesapeake Energy Corp., officials announced Friday.
Gov. Mary Fallin hailed the “historic” $24 million project that will help El Reno continue growing into a new hub for oil and natural gas service companies.
“It is a thriving area for business,” she said.
The state will add an interchange at Radio Road, with a new five-lane bridge straddling the interstate, while the city and Chesapeake will widen the road to four lanes in the area that is home to several of the company's affiliates.
Friday's announcement was made at the new headquarters of Performance Technologies LLC, a pressure pumping company that recently celebrated its first anniversary.
Chesapeake CEO Aubrey McClendon said the new interchange will help El Reno remain an attractive place for the oil and gas industry.
“The Radio Road and I-40 interchange is one of the most rapidly developing and important energy service sector corridors in Oklahoma,” he said. “Chesapeake and our partners are proud to invest alongside the state in a project that equips El Reno and the energy service sector for future growth and increased business.”
Business Photo Galleriesview all
Expanded Chesapeake coverage
Chesapeake coverage on NewsOK:
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M