LONDON (AP) — The English Football Association wants FIFA prosecutor Michael Garcia's ongoing confidential report into alleged World Cup bidding corruption to be published.
"We as the FA will ask for it," English FA chairman Greg Dyke told a British parliamentary panel on Tuesday.
If FIFA and Garcia refuse to publish the dossier, "then I hope the Sunday Times gets hold of it," Dyke said.
The British newspaper has repeatedly alleged corruption in FIFA's choice of Qatar to host the 2022 World Cup. Reporters Jonathan Calvert and Heidi Blake followed Dyke and were quizzed by the parliamentary committee with responsibility for sport.
On Monday, FIFA said Garcia's report should be delivered to FIFA ethics judge Joachim Eckert in September. Eckert is expected to decide on possible sanctions several weeks later.
Garcia and his investigation team have interviewed officials from all nine candidates, including England, which bid to host the 2018 or 2022 tournaments. FIFA's often-discredited executive committee chose Russia and Qatar, respectively, in secret ballots held in December 2010.
Garcia, a former U.S. Attorney in New York, was appointed by FIFA in 2012 with an unlimited budget to investigate corruption claims. The World Cup bid contests topped his agenda.
Still, FIFA and Garcia have never published his investigation files.
Calvert told lawmakers that he understood that FIFA President Sepp Blatter will decide if Garcia's World Cup report is published.
Garcia's past probes include bribery and financial wrongdoing implicating former FIFA board member Mohamed bin Hammam of Qatar, and former World Cup marketing agency ISL, which paid tens of millions of dollars in kickbacks before collapsing into bankruptcy in 2001.
The ISL case provoked Blatter's predecessor, Joao Havelange, to resign last year as FIFA honorary president, and Havelange's former son-in-law Ricardo Teixeira to resign as head of Brazil's World Cup organizing committee.
Continue reading this story on the...