Asia stocks up despite global growth warnings
BANGKOK (AP) — Asian stocks markets shrugged off yet another dismal prediction about global economic growth to mostly post solid gains Tuesday.
The gains in Asia came despite the International Monetary Fund cutting its forecast for global economic growth, just a day after the World Bank issued a warning about a slackening expansion in Asia.
Some analysts suggested that Asia still remained a bright stop and that investors should keep the big picture in mind.
"Asia has grown nearly 32 (percent) in the four years since Lehman Brothers collapsed," analysts at DBS Bank Ltd. in Singapore said in a market commentary. "That's how big Asia is today and how fast it is growing. A weak Europe will never be a plus for Asia. But it's never mattered less either."
Hong Kong's Hang Seng jumped 1.1 percent to 21,040.40 and South Korea's Kospi fluctuated between slight gains and losses. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 gained 0.5 percent to 4,505.30.
Mainland China's Shanghai Composite Index climbed 2 percent to 2,116.80 and the smaller Shenzhen Composite Index added 2.3 percent to 869.21.Benchmarks in Indonesia, Thailand and India also rose.
But Japan's Nikkei 225 index fell 0.9 percent to 8,784.52. Benchmarks in Singapore and Taiwan also fell.
China's central bank took a new step to support slowing economic growth by boosting credit. The bank injected 265 billion yuan ($42 billion) into the money supply in what analysts said was the second-biggest such move to date. It was the third such injection in as many weeks.
But Linus Yip, strategist at First Shanghai Securities in Hong Kong, said he believes the strong rebound boils down to this: mainland Chinese stocks, closed for a holiday last week, are playing catch-up with the Dow Jones industrial average, which hit a four-year high on Sept. 12, closing at 13,333.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister