Eury Jr. named Stremme's crew chief at Swan Racing
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Tony Eury Jr. will return to the Sprint Cup Series as crew chief for David Stremme at upstart Swan Racing.
The Monday hiring was part of new owner Brandon Davis' plan to use the offseason to make the team competitive.
"We have a long-term vision for Swan Racing and the addition of Tony Jr. is another step in that process," said Davis, CEO of independent oil and gas company Swan Energy. "Tony brings a world of experience to Swan Racing and will be part of our long-term success."
Eury had spent the last three seasons as crew chief for Danica Patrick at JR Motorsports until his release from the Nationwide Series team in September because of a difference in philosophy between Eury and Dale Earnhardt Jr., his cousin.
Eury also had been a co-owner of JR Motorsports. He won 19 Sprint Cup races with Michael Waltrip and Earnhardt at Dale Earnhardt Inc., and went with Earnhardt to Hendrick Motorsports in 2008. He and Earnhardt won a pair of races at Hendrick Motorsports, but were split apart 12 races into the 2009 season. Eury then moved full-time to JR Motorsports.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 72931Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14541Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8647Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7401How to help tornado victims
- 6540Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6504Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6358Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims