Ex-FBI agent in Oklahoma gets six months in prison for embezzling
Former FBI Special Agent Timothy A. Klotz, of Yukon, was sentenced Monday to six months in prison for embezzling $43,190 in public funds.
A former FBI special agent was sentenced Monday to six months in federal prison for embezzling $43,190 to pay for his gambling.
Timothy A. Klotz, 45, of Yukon, already has made restitution to the FBI.
“He betrayed his badge, he betrayed his colleagues, and he betrayed his department,” prosecutor Walt M. Junker said.
Klotz pleaded guilty in July in federal court in Oklahoma City to embezzling public funds. He admitted he took money he was supposed to give confidential informants for tips on criminal activities.
He admitted embezzling from Oct. 17, 2007, to Dec. 16, 2011.
Defense attorney Michael Johnson said Monday that Klotz embezzled because of a gambling problem. He used retirement money to pay the restitution, the attorney said.
U.S. District Judge Vicki Miles-LaGrange chose the punishment.
“I'm truly, truly sorry for what I did. The bureau was my love,” Klotz told the judge Monday. “I don't have anything left. I don't have a house. I don't have retirement. I don't have money.”
Klotz asked for only probation. The prosecutor urged the judge to impose a prison term. Klotz will be on probation for three years after he gets out of prison. He must spend the first six months on monitored home detention.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 12757Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10379Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9755Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9478Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6719Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4489Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4265Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates