Ex-nursing home worker pleads guilty abusing 96-year-old patient
Judge sentences Lucy W. Gakunga, 24, of Oklahoma City, to two years in prison as part of plea deal for abusing Eryetha Mayberry in April; a co-defendant remains at-large in the case.
A former nursing home aide caught on video stuffing latex gloves into the mouth of a 96-year-old patient with dementia pleaded guilty Wednesday to caretaker abuse and was sentenced to two years in prison.
Videoview all videos
Nov 21Ex-nursing home aid Lucy Waithira Gakunga pleaded guilty...
Lucy Waithira Gakunga, 23, of Oklahoma City, admitted abusing Eryetha Mayberry in April as part of a plea deal with prosecutors. She received a 7-year prison sentence with all but the first two years suspended.
Gakunga, a citizen of Nigeria, will be deported after she is released from prison, Oklahoma County District Judge Glenn M. Jones said.
“I don't feel it was severe enough, but I'm not the judge,” said Erlene Adkisson, one of Mayberry's three daughters.
Caroline Kaseke, 28, a co-defendant in the case, remains at-large.
Quail Creek Nursing and Rehabilitation Center fired the nursing assistants in April after they were caught on a camera hidden by the family of the victim, who lived at the facility for five years.
The video shows Gakunga shove the gloves into Mayberry's mouth and forcefully hold them there as the patient tries to push Gakunga's hands away and Kaseke looks on, police said.
The video also shows Gakunga lift Mayberry into bed and then pushes the side of her face to force her to lie down. She also compresses the resident's torso, police said. A supervisor at the facility told police there is no medical reason to push on the woman's chest. Family members told police their loved one has painful arthritis.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13515Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10081Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9722Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8902Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6661Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5295Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 4594Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister