Ex-nursing home worker pleads guilty abusing 96-year-old patient
Judge sentences Lucy W. Gakunga, 24, of Oklahoma City, to two years in prison as part of plea deal for abusing Eryetha Mayberry in April; a co-defendant remains at-large in the case.
Videoview all videos
Nov 21Ex-nursing home aid Lucy Waithira Gakunga pleaded guilty...
“We had no (idea) that she was being mistreated,” said Doris Racher, one of Mayberry's three daughters. “She was so helpless.”
A nursing home administrator declined to comment Wednesday, referring calls to AdCare Health Systems, an Atlanta-based company that purchased the Quail Creek facility in August.
Wendy Brooke, vice president of sales and marketing for AdCare, declined to comment except to say, “We ensure we have the proper state and federal abuse policies in place.”
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in