Share “Ex-police officer's chief accuser now says...”

Ex-police officer's chief accuser now says nothing sexual happened

Preliminary hearing resumes Tuesday for Maurice Martinez, a former Oklahoma City police sergeant, who is accused in a 37-count criminal charge of sexually abusing four teenage boys while they were in his care.
BY NOLAN CLAY nclay@opubco.com Published: August 23, 2011

Martinez had been a foster parent for 11 years and “has had numerous boys under his care during those years,” police reported. The Department of Human Services has said Martinez cared for about 60 foster children.

He was charged in April. He resigned as a police officer last month.

First witness

The first witness Monday was one of the former officer's foster sons. The foster son, now 22, told the judge Martinez sexually abused him one time years ago. He testified he saw Martinez have inappropriate sexual contact with other boys in the officer's home.

The foster son also testified he told police Martinez sent his initial accuser to Utah. He said he traveled to Utah with Martinez to visit the boy in April. He said he worried the officer planned to hurt the boy. He quoted Martinez as saying, “I want to see him float.”

The foster son also said Martinez asked him to take the blame for pornography found on the officer's home computer and cellphone. Prosecutors say 25,000 images of gay pornography were found on the computer and 500 pictures of naked males were on the cellphone.

Defense attorneys say Martinez is not the one who downloaded those images on to the computer or phone.

Special Judge Larry Jones is hearing testimony to decide if the evidence is sufficient for a trial. A decision is expected Tuesday. Many of the counts are likely to be thrown out.

NewsOK.com has disabled the comments for this article.

Trending Now


AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    New technology meets the New Testament
  2. 2
    All signs point to Jim Harbaugh coaching Michigan
  3. 3
    In North Dakota, a Tale of Oil, Corruption and Death
  4. 4
    Some with Cowboys 'concerned' about Dez's living arrangement; Bryant: I've done nothing wrong
  5. 5
    KFOR: Stretch of SW 44th closed, at least one injured after head-on collision
+ show more