Execution set Tuesday at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary
Convicted killer Garry Allen is scheduled to die Tuesday, 26 years after his fiancee was murdered, authorities said.
McALESTER — Garry Allen is scheduled to die Tuesday at the Oklahoma State Penitentiary, 26 years after he killed his fiancee, authorities said.
NewsOK Related Articles
Allen, 56, was sentenced to death for the Nov. 21, 1986, murder of Lawanna Gail Titsworth, who was 24. Allen confronted Titsworth outside the day care their two sons attended and shot her in the chest, authorities said. He left and then returned, shooting Titsworth three times in the back.
When police discovered Allen in an alley, he fought with an officer and tried to force the officer to shoot himself with his service weapon. The officer managed to turn the gun and Allen was shot in the left eye.
The Oklahoma Court of Criminal Appeals in October set Nov. 6 as the execution date for the Oklahoma County death row inmate who claimed he became insane while he was in prison.
In September, a federal-district court judge rejected Allen's claim that he could not be executed because of mental incompetence. Allen previously was scheduled for execution on May 19, 2005, and Feb. 16.
Corrections Department spokesman Jerry Massie said Friday the execution is scheduled to go on as planned.
Allen will be executed by lethal injection.
Allen's attorney, assistant federal public defender Randy Bauman, declined to comment in the case.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister