AT A GLANCE
You could spend a couple thousand dollars for a week's vacation at Finca Bellavista, a tree house community in Costa Rica. Or you could spend about the same amount and stay for months. Simply apply for the Finca's volunteer program.
The fine print
• Have their own health insurance and have proof of insurance on-site.
• Prove financial solvency by having a minimum of $500 in a bank/debit account or available on a valid credit card. This ensures that volunteers can provide for themselves when they leave the property, suffer personal emergencies or take days off.
• Have valid
• Provide their own bedding, biodegradable toiletries and clothing.
• Pay for all of their own transportation, including transportation while at the Finca.
• Dress and behave appropriately. They must be respectful of everyone regardless of differences.
• Contribute $50 per week for food.
• Do the work they are assigned, consisting largely of maintaining the gardens and grounds. The workweek is 30 hours long.
• Speak some
Finca Bellavista will provide:
• The opportunity to live in a place unlike anywhere else on Earth. The Finca is rustic, but the camp-style ambience promises a unique experience for volunteers, who will have a white water river in their front yard. They can explore the rain forest, observe exotic plants and animals, meet interesting people and have an amazing adventure.