Facing mountain tests body, spirit
Preparing for a climb to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro is a lot like following Christ, columnist Walker Moore says.
In a gym, I always feel like a fish out of water.
Recently, after a hard day at work, I went to the gym, where I jumped up and down, made sucking noises like a Hoover vacuum sweeper, twisted, turned, groaned and perspired for an hour ... and that was just so I could put on my gym clothes. Then the trainer put me on the treadmill for my cardio warm-ups. After about a minute, I knew something didn't feel right. I put my hand into the pocket of my gym shorts, but it didn't slide in as usual. That's when I realized I had my shorts on backward.
When I began my journey to try and climb Mount Kilimanjaro carrying an 80-pound cross, I knew there would be a price to pay.
Several people have asked whether I'm doing crunches as part of my Kilimanjaro training. The answer is yes. In fact, I'm doing them twice a day. I do Captain Crunch in the morning and Nestle's Crunch after lunch.
Besides the physical challenges I face, a mental challenge accompanies this journey, but the rewards are worth it. I'm asking God to let me be one of those who conquers the climb and sees His glory.
This journey is about much more than climbing a mountain and carrying a cross. It's about Jesus, His cross and me. He set the minimum requirement for being a Christ-follower in Scripture: “If anyone wishes to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me” (Luke 9:23).
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in