Elementary school lockdown called off in Oklahoma City school district
A Green Pastures Elementary school staff member heard shots fired near the school in Spencer about 1 p.m. Monday. The school was on lockdown, but police investigated and found nothing, Oklahoma City school district spokeswoman Tierney Tinnin said.
3 p.m. Oklahoma City police have called off their search near Green Pastures Elementary after finding nothing nearby, Oklahoma City public school district's spokeswoman Tierney Tinnin said.
School will dismiss at 3 p.m. like it normally does, she said.
2:30 p.m. SPENCER — Green Pastures Elementary school was put on lockdown after teachers heard shots fired near the school, an Oklahoma City public school district spokeswoman said.
The teachers heard shots fired about 1 p.m. Monday and notified police. The school was put on lockdown as a precautionary measure, spokeswoman Tierney Tinnin said.
“All the kids are safe and learning,” she said.
Oklahoma City police are investigating the report.
During recess, the teachers heard shots fired near the school and saw a couple of men run away, police Master Sgt. Gary Knight said.
Police sent out a K9 unit and a helicopter to search the area but have not found anything, Knight said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 10886Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10691Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9835Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9009Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 5206Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4290Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3855OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M