Escaped killer recaptured in southeast Oklahoma
Jason Bales, 29, was recaptured about 10:30 a.m. Sunday, prison spokeswoman Cindy Lowe said. She said she had no other details about the capture.
STRINGTOWN — Oklahoma prison officials said a convicted killer who escaped the Mack Alford Correctional Facility in Stringtown was recaptured in Hugo.
Prison spokeswoman Cindy Lowe said Jason Bales, 29, was recaptured about 10:30 a.m. Sunday. Lowe said she had no other details about the capture.
Bales was reported missing Monday from the prison where he was serving life without parole for the 2006 killing of his girlfriend's mother, Stepheny Glass. Authorities say Glass was strangled before her body was doused with acid and buried in a shallow grave in southwest Oklahoma City.
Prison officials said they are still investigating how Bales escaped.
Hugo is about 55 miles southeast of Stringtown in southeastern Oklahoma.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims