Guthrie High School student arrested, suspended after threats were made against school
Guthrie police increased police presence in all Guthrie schools after Guthrie Public Schools notified police of a threat made against the high school Friday.
GUTHRIE — A Guthrie High School student was arrested and suspended after classmates reported he made threats against the high school.
The student was arrested on a felony complaint of terroristic hoax Monday afternoon. He was taken to Logan County jail, Guthrie Police Chief Damon Devereaux said.
Devereaux refused to release the student's name even though the names of juveniles arrested on felony complaints are open record under state law.
He was suspended Monday morning after other students told school administrators they heard him make threats Friday, Guthrie Public Schools Superintendent Mike Simpson said.
Both Devereaux and Simpson said the police and school administration have been investigating other reported threats throughout the day Monday.
“I'm sure for the rest of this week we are going to be talking to many of the students, trying to determine if there are other threats or if this is a single threat that got twisted in several ways when it went through the texting media at school. By no means is our investigation done; it's going to be ongoing for some time,” Devereaux said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 33746Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15554Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10129Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9883Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9568Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8114Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8089Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister