Major winter storm headed toward Oklahoma
Blizzard conditions are expected in parts of Oklahoma beginning Sunday night.
Road crews and emergency responders braced for a major winter storm expected to bring blizzard conditions to much of the state beginning Sunday night.
Videoview all videos
Feb 26Thousands of people are still without power, and roads in...
Feb 25A state of emergency was declared Monday for 56 Oklahoma...
Photoview all 20 photos
NewsOK Related Articles
Most of western and northern Oklahoma is under a blizzard warning through 6 a.m. Tuesday, and central parts of the state, including the Oklahoma City metro area, are under a winter storm warning through the same time frame.
According to the National Weather Service, Oklahoma City could see one to five inches of snow and heavy winds which could cause drifting and reduced visibility. A northwestern swath of the state is expected to get eight to 10 inches of snow with accumulations of 10 to 12 inches in northwestern Oklahoma cities such as Alva and Woodward.
The storm is expected to start with rain, turning to snow overnight in Oklahoma City, forecasters said. The storm is expected to move southeasterly through the state Monday and persist through Tuesday morning, according to the weather service.
“Things could get bad on the morning commute. That's about the time of the changeover. And it could be worse for the drive home. We're recommending to avoid travel for tomorrow, if you can,” John Pike, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in Norman, said Sunday.
“We don't really have any ice in the forecast, a quick change of rain into snow instead, so that's probably the best thing about it,” Pike said.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit