Oklahoma roadway deaths up during long holiday weekend
Preliminary numbers show 11 people died on Oklahoma roadways during the Thanksgiving holiday travel period.
Nearly twice as many people died on Oklahoma roadways during the Thanksgiving Day holiday travel period this year than in 2011, the Oklahoma Highway Safety office reported Monday.
Alice Collingsworth, the office communications manager, said preliminary numbers show 11 people died in crashes from 6 p.m. Wednesday to midnight Sunday.
Last year there were six fatalities during the same time period, she reported.
This year's deaths include a quadruple fatality Sunday afternoon in Ottawa County.
Maryssa Sanderson, 7, of Garland, Texas, was seriously injured in that wreck. She was listed in critical condition at Cox South Medical Center in Springfield, Mo., a spokeswoman said Monday.
Two of those who died in holiday accidents were identified by officials Monday.
Oklahoma City police said Christopher Bedwell, 25, of Oklahoma City, drove off the road about 2:45 a.m. Sunday and crashed into a building at 3810 N Tulsa Ave. Officers found him dead in his vehicle.
Norman police said Hok Yin Chan, 22, died in a two-vehicle crash Wednesday afternoon on State Highway 9. Capt. Tom Easley said the car Chan was driving is registered to a Holdenville resident with the same last name, but police do not know if Chan lived in Holdenville.
Douglas Weber, 43, of Frisco, Texas, was the other driver. Weber was taken to Norman Regional Hospital and then transferred by medical helicopter to the OU Medical Center in Oklahoma City. Weber's condition was not released.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 11867Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11199Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7813Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7743Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4737Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4255OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3606Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit