Shawnee family looks for missing pet kangaroo
SHAWNEE — An Oklahoma family is searching for their missing pet: an 11-month-old kangaroo named Lucy Sparkles.
Shayla Menhusen said her family last saw Lucy on Thanksgiving, when she thinks the red kangaroo was freaked out by people gathered at their home near Shawnee for the holiday.
“We had lots of kids around and they just wanted to see her and watch her hop around,” Menhusen told The Associated Press on Saturday. “Of course, when she starts to hop, kids start laughing and screaming with excitement. And I think that might have spooked her.”
So, Menhusen and her family have been whistling and calling out Lucy's name as they look for her in nearby fields and woods. But Menhusen said she's worried Lucy cannot hear them because it's been windy.
“And if she's calling back, we can't hear her either,” Menhusen said.
Plus, Lucy is gray, so it's not easy to spot her in a rural area about 40 miles east of Oklahoma City.
“With all the fall colors out there, she just blends right in,” Menhusen said. “She's definitely going to be hard to see if you can't hear her and she's not hopping.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 90701Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 17035OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12738Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8924Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8598Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8454How to help tornado victims
- 8359Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located