Space heater causes northwest Oklahoma City house fire Thursday

A man escaped a house fire Thursday unharmed, Oklahoma City fire officials said. The fire ignited the day after another house fire killed five people.
FROM STAFF REPORTS Modified: December 27, 2012 at 11:57 am •  Published: December 27, 2012
Advertisement
;

A space heater is to blame for a house fire Thursday morning in northwest Oklahoma City, fire Maj. Tammy McKinney said.

A man who was in the house escaped before firefighters arrived about 2:20 a.m. He was not injured, McKinney said.

Firefighters extinguished the blaze in the two-story wood-frame house at 3729 W Liberty. McKinney said a space heater had been placed too close to a bed and the bed caught fire.

The house did not have any working smoke alarms, she said.

Fire officials did not have a damage report Thursday morning.

A space heater also caused the Oklahoma City house fire that killed five people Wednesday morning and left a man in critical condition with burn injuries. Fire officials said the house at 2816 Dorchester Drive also had no working smoke alarms.

Four children and their mother died in that blaze.

Brian Poletto, 39, remained in critical condition Thursday morning at Integris Baptist Medical Center, spokeswoman Meghan Lemmings said.

McKinney reminded people to avoid placing space heaters too close to combustibles and to keep at least 3 feet of space all the way around the heater.

She also urges anyone who needs a free smoke alarm to go to a fire station. Batteries should be replaced once a year, she said.