Two Edmond students score perfectly on ACT
Students from Memorial and Santa Fe high schools in Edmond made perfect scores of 36 on the ACT college entrance exam.
EDMOND — Two Edmond students have joined an elite club, scoring a perfect 36 on the American College Testing (ACT) examination.
David Milligan, a junior at Edmond Memorial High School, and Derek Knowles, a senior at Edmond Santa Fe, both registered the somewhat rare feat.
According to the ACT national office, more than 1.6 million ACT exams were administered in 2012. Of those, 781, or roughly 0.04 percent of test takers, logged the perfect score. The average Oklahoma score last year was just under 21.
Welcoming the news was Edmond Public Schools Superintendent David Goin.
“Derek and David deserve our utmost respect and admiration for having reached this level of achievement,” Goin said. “To receive a perfect 36 on the ACT is quite rare. On average, less than one-tenth of one percent of all test takers earn the top score. We are proud of them and congratulate them on this significant accomplishment.”
The news caught the two students a bit off guard.
“Yes, I was a bit surprised,” said Milligan, 16, who took the test in December for the second time. He first took it last year and logged a respectable 31.
For Knowles, this was his fourth ACT. His first was in the seventh grade, when he scored a 26.
About the students
Perfection on the ACT isn't the only thing Knowles and Milligan share. Both are of the Mormon faith and know each other. Each plans to attend Brigham Young University in Utah and eventually major in engineering. Milligan wants a career in chemical engineering, while Knowles is undecided between mechanical and electrical engineering.
Both are involved with music — Knowles in band and orchestra and Milligan in orchestra and men's chorus.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 78259Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30507Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 26600Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 26566Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7397Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7041Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6928Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond