Two Oklahomans die in Sunday wrecks
C.H. Betterton, 81, of Grove, and Patricia N. Russell, 55, of Enid, died in separate crashes Sunday, authorities said.
Two people died after wrecks Sunday, authorities said.
Patricia N. Russell, 55, Enid
About 5:50 p.m., Russell was a passenger in a sport utility vehicle driving south on E Maine Street in Enid when a car crashed into the vehicle as a high rate of speed as it was crossing 10th Street from a stop sign, Enid police Capt. Jack Morris said.
Russell died at a nearby hospital, he said.
The driver of the SUV was flown to OU Medical Center with head, neck and torso injuries.
The driver of the car, Teodoro Najera, 16, suffered minor injuries.
He was thought to be under the influence at the scene and was arrested on complaints of manslaughter and driving without a valid driver's license, Morris said.
C.H. Betterton, 81, Grove
Betterton was driving east Sunday morning on Interstate 40 near Mulberry in western Arkansas when he drifted across the median and into the tree line, striking several trees before the vehicle came to a rest, the Arkansas State Police reported.
Betterton died at the scene. State police are investigating the cause of the crash.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 34667Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 26962Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6958OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6745Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4485OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4208Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3679College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals