Two pre-kindergarten students wander away from Guthrie elementary school
Two pre-kindergarten girls went missing from a Guthrie elementary school Thursday but were found safe nearby about a half-hour later, school officials said.
GUTHRIE — Two pre-kindergarten students missing from Cotteral Elementary School were found unharmed after about a half-hour, officials said Friday.
About 2:15 p.m. Thursday, staff at the school determined the two girls were not in their classroom, Superintendent Mike Simpson said.
Within five minutes, their parents were notified by telephone, and district officials were contacted. All teachers secured their students, and all classes took attendance in an effort to locate the missing students, officials said.
District officials began to search the area around the school, and Guthrie police were contacted to assist, Simpson said.
By 3 p.m. the students were returned to the school campus and released to their parents.
“Obviously, situations like this are scary,” Simpson said in a news release. “Most of the students at Cotteral Elementary are between the ages of 4 and 5 years old. We are thankful that the students were located quickly and returned to campus. We will conduct an investigation and make any necessary modifications to our practices at Cotteral Elementary to insure the highest level of safety for our students.”
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in