UPDATE: Man with rifle and machete shot dead by Midwest City police officer
A Midwest City, OK, police officer shot and killed a man Monday who was armed with a rifle and a machete.
MIDWEST CITY — A man shot and killed by a police officer Monday “acted crazy” and was armed with a rifle and a machete in a woman's backyard, Midwest City Police Chief Brandon Clabes said.
The woman called police about 7 a.m. and said she heard an explosion in her detached garage at 609 Lions Park Place. She said she did not know the man in her yard but that he was an acquaintance of her husband.
Clabes said an officer arrived and confronted a shirtless man on the east side of the house who was holding a rifle and a machete. The man refused to drop the weapons.
“At that point, the suspect continued toward the officer and pointed the rifle at him. The officer fired several shots, striking and killing the suspect,” Clabes said. “From all indications at this stage of the case, the officer had no choice but to use deadly force.”
The officer, whose name was not released, has been placed on administrative leave pending the criminal and administrative investigation. Multiple witnesses were brought to the police department for statements.
“We're seeking search warrants for the property now and trying to identify the suspect. There is evidence of a fire inside the garage, and the suspect had burns on his upper torso,” Clabes said.
See our commenting and posting policy.
News Photo Galleriesview all
- 13135OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 7091Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6692Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6620Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5959Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5205Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5081Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers