Ferrer, Almagro lead Spain in Davis Cup vs US
GIJON, Spain (AP) — With Rafael Nadal injured again, David Ferrer and Nicolas Almagro will lead defending champion Spain for its Davis Cup semifinal against the United States this month.
Captain Alex Corretja is sticking with the same team that beat Austria in the quarterfinals: fifth-ranked Ferrer and No. 12 Almagro in singles and Marcel Granollers and Marc Lopez in doubles.
The semifinal is Sept. 14-16, with Spain trying to reach its fourth final in five years.
Nadal needs at least two months to recover from a partially torn tendon in his left knee. The world's third-ranked player has been sidelined since a second-round loss at Wimbledon in June.
Corretja says former Davis Cup player Feliciano Lopez will be with the team as a practice partner.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 11499Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8698Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 7434How to help tornado victims
- 4914Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 2111Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 1490Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say