Fiesta Bowl Preview Capsule
No. 7 Kansas State (11-1) vs. No. 5 Oregon (11-1), 8:30 p.m. EST (ESPN)
University of Phoenix Stadium, Glendale, Ariz.
Line: Oregon by 8Â½.
Series record: First meeting.
WHAT'S AT STAKE
Once national championship front-runners, Kansas State and Oregon get a nice consolation prize by playing in one of the bowl season's most anticipated games. The Wildcats (5) and Ducks (4) are both in the top 5 of the BCS standings and have two of the nation's most dynamic offenses, setting up what should be a second straight marquee Fiesta Bowl matchup after Oklahoma State outlasted Stanford 41-38 in overtime last year.
Oregon's speed vs. Kansas State's power. The Ducks play at a pace like few teams in college football and often score quickly with 44 of their 80 TD drives this season coming in two minutes or less, including 22 in 60 seconds or less. The Wildcats are a bit more methodical and will need to use their ball-possession ways to keep the ball away from Oregon's offense.
PLAYERS TO WATCH
Kansas State: QB Collin Klein. A dual-threat quarterback, he became Kansas State's second Heisman Trophy finalist (with Michael Bishop in 1998) after throwing for 2,490 yards, rushing for 890 more and accounting for 37 TDs.
Sports Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: â€˜All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort