FIFA rejects Burkina Faso protest against Algeria

Published on NewsOK Modified: November 26, 2013 at 10:20 am •  Published: November 26, 2013
Advertisement
;

ZURICH (AP) — FIFA has dismissed Burkina Faso's protest that a key player for World Cup playoff opponent Algeria was ineligible.

Burkina Faso sought to replace Algeria in the 32-team World Cup draw in Brazil next week.

Algeria advanced on away goals after the teams were 3-3 on total goals. Algeria captain Madjid Bougherra scored in a 1-0 second-leg victory in Blida, Algeria, last week.

Burkina Faso's soccer federation contends Bougherra should have been suspended for the return leg after his yellow card in the first leg.

Soccer's governing body says "no breach of the FIFA regulations has been committed" by Algerian officials. FIFA also says the "formal conditions to lodge a protest were not met."

World Cup regulations require eligibility protests during qualifying to be filed within one hour after matches.


Advertisement


Trending Now



AROUND THE WEB

  1. 1
    Hotel leaves Oklahoma City Thunder opponents telling ghost stories
  2. 2
    Check out the Thunder postseason playlist
  3. 3
    VIDEO: Blake Griffin dumps water on a fan
  4. 4
    Oklahoma City Thunder: Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes calls drug suspension unfair
  5. 5
    Dave Chappelle Reveals Shockingly Buff New Look
+ show more