Nearly 50 Oklahoma students have received National Merit Scholarships in the final round of awards for this year.
The Oklahoma students were among more than 2,000 winners announced Monday by the National Merit Scholarship Corp. The total number of winners for this year is about 8,100.
The winners, their high schools, their intended majors and the awarding university are:
• Bishop Kelley High School in Tulsa: Isabel McCormick, writing at Oberlin College; and Alexander Yozzo, economics at Rice University.
• Booker T. Washington High School in Tulsa: Peter Folkins, chemical engineering at the University of Oklahoma; Madison Jones, engineering at OU; Andrew McCollum, space science at Washington University in St. Louis; and Laura Pearson, education at OU.
• Casady School: Theodore Nollert, education at Rhodes College.
• Classen School for Advanced Studies: Clay Newton, chemical engineering at Oklahoma State University.
• Edmond North High School: Claire Choquette, vocal music at the University of North Texas; and Angela Metcalf, medicine at Northwestern University.
• Edmond Memorial High School: Kaler Campbell, religious service/chemistry at Oklahoma Christian University; Alexander Wade Craig, genetics at OU; and Louis Utsch Jr., engineering at OU.
• Edmond Santa Fe High School: Victoria Mooers, secondary education at the University of Chicago.
• Eisenhower High School in Lawton: Mitchell LeFebvre, microbiology at the University of Alabama.
• Heritage Hall: Sean Davison, mechanical engineering at OU.
• Holland Hall School in Tulsa: Jennifer Carmichael, chemical engineering at OU; Harrison Evert, medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill; and Pauline White, business at Southern Methodist University.
• Homeschool: Benjamin Hartman, law at Oklahoma Christian.
• Jenks High School: Amelia Doyle, environmental sustainability at OU; Akshay Gollapalli, medicine at Baylor University; Brooke McGarvin, undecided at OU; Justin Mitchell, engineering at OU; and Emily Towler, law at Southern Methodist University.
• Lawton High School: Joseph Lemque, astrophysics at OU.
• Metro Christian Academy in Tulsa: Ariel Helms, medicine at Vanderbilt University.
• Moore High School: Garret Robinson, medicine at OU.
• Norman High School: Hyerin Kwak, medicine at Case Western Reserve University.
• Norman North High School: Russell Bates IV, electrical engineering at OU; and Samantha Mason, science/journalism at the University of Arkansas.
• Oklahoma Christian Academy: Anna Taylor, mechanical engineering at Oklahoma Christian.
• Oklahoma School of Science and Mathematics: Nathan Edmonsond, chemical engineering at OU; Shelby Vanhooser, computer engineering at OU; James Allred, electrical engineering at Rice University; Je Eun Park, medicine at Emory University; Jessica Oehrlein, mechanical engineering at Franklin Olin College of Engineering; and Marlee Marie Pagels, medicine at Oklahoma Christian.
• Peace Academy in Tulsa: Fysal Shennib, neurology at OU.
• Ponca City High School: Marissa Schmauch, medicine/genetics at the University of Tulsa.
• Preston High School: Erik McPherson, computer systems at OU.
• Putnam City North High School: Andrew Maples, nanoengineering at OU.
• Southwest Covenant School in Yukon: Zachary Dumas, computer engineering at OSU.
• St. Augustine Academy in Tulsa: Lyrica Krautter, speech therapy at OU.
• Tulsa Union: Brandon Jonely, physics at TU; and James Rogers, mechanical engineering at TU.
• Westmoore High School: Samantha Woods, international relations at Brigham Young University.