Financier to sell Richter painting at NYC auction
NEW YORK (AP) — A painting by German abstract artist Gerhard Richter that's owned by "king of hedge funds" Steven Cohen is going on the auction block in New York City.
Christie's says "Prag 1883" is estimated to sell "in the region of $15 million" on Nov. 14.
The title of the painting depicting swirling bright yellow, blue and red colors refers to the birthplace and birth date of Franz Kafka. Kafka was one of Richter's favorite authors.
Before it was acquired by Cohen, the monumental 1983 work was owned by the Duke of Bavaria.
Cohen is a self-made billionaire with a world-renowned collection of modern and contemporary art. He's the founder of SAC Capital in Stamford, Conn.
The current Richter auction record is $21.8 million for his "Abstract Picture (7938-3)."
Business Photo Galleriesview all
- 21361Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10815Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8633Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8589Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8336Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7789Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7697Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister