Finding amazing travel deals: $150 for air, hotel
Sales like that typically last a few hours and require flying on off-peak days. But Purton, who works for a fashion tech startup, is lucky enough to have a flexible boss.
"I'm a single gal. I don't have a family to take care of," she added.
Here are the best ways to find insane deals:
— Download mobile apps, bookmark pages, create online profiles and add credit card information. That way, when a deal comes along, you can book it from anywhere with minimal hassle. By the time you get to a computer, it might be gone.
— Twitter and Facebook are your friends. Sometimes airlines, hotels and cruise lines will post their deals on social media. More often, you will hear about them from industry watchers or friends.
— Sign up for text alerts. Travel blogs like Deals We Like — http://boardingarea.com/blogs/dealswelike/ — will actually send you a text message when there is an amazing special with a short shelf life.
— Question travel newsletters. By the time a travel company emails you about a "sale" most of the spots are gone. Also, sometimes those deals aren't any cheaper than what is normally offered. Like any savvy shopper, know what typical prices are so you'll know when the price has truly gone down.
— Search for last-minute weekend fares. Each Tuesday, airlines email offers for that coming weekend or the following one to fliers who have signed up online for deal alerts. Travelers have to depart late Friday night or anytime Saturday and come back Monday or Tuesday. But at least the trips don't gobble up any of those precious vacation days.
Scott Mayerowitz can be reached at http://twitter.com/GlobeTrotScott.
Life Photo Galleriesview all
- 16804Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8821OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6453Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5885Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5756OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 4970Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4920Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater