Fires make Colorado vacation an adventure for Oklahoma family
This vacationing Oklahoma family was among those evacuated when a raging wildfire threatened a tourist spot.
A 2 a.m. rapping on your hotel room door is generally not good news.
Last week, my family was awakened by the pounding of a Manitou Springs, Colo., firefighter who ordered us to pack up and evacuate the hotel because the Waldo Canyon fire was threatening that lovely tourism town. “Head east,” was his blunt direction.
That fire, which was just gaining a foothold in the mountains above Colorado Springs when we rolled into town, has destroyed more than 300 homes and consumed thousands of acres. At least two...
View full article on Oklahoman.com
How do I get Full Access?
Weather Photo Galleriesview all
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort